Upper School English Teacher
Website St. George's Independent School
St. George’s Independent School seeks a passionate, entrepreneurial, and hard-working individual who is energized by work with families to serve as an Upper School English Teacher, beginning August 2022.
As an Episcopal School, St. George’s welcomes and respects all religious, racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds. We affirm differences as sources of strength that create a culture of transformative diversity, building upon shared experiences that deepen our humanity and enhance the intellectual, social, spiritual and moral development of all students. We believe that valuing diversity and inclusion is sacred and living this value transforms our institution, our people, and the greater community.
Duration: Annual Letter of Agreement
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in English required, master’s degree in English preferred
The successful candidate will possess skills and experience that would include the ability to:
- teach a broad array of writing styles with a desire to find ways for students to write for authentic audiences
- teach students to analyze literature authored by a broad range of authors
- teach grammar through the use of student writing
- develop effective vocabulary acquisition
- create and execute engaging interdisciplinary curriculum development with grade-level teams
- work with students as a mentor as part of our advisory program to nurture students’ personal growth, learning, and achievement
- advise student organizations, coach sports, and/or chaperone outdoor education trips
- attend meetings and events that occur outside of school hours, both weekday and weekend
Student Life: Candidates who can demonstrate significant past experience in leading co-curricular programs (athletics, clubs, student government) are preferred.
Physical Requirements: Regularly sit, turn, bend, reach, walk, talk, hear, and interact with campus visitors as well as others who telephone. Must have the ability to understand and present materials and communicate with constituents and co-workers in a harmonious manner.
Candidates will embrace the school’s mission and educational philosophy; candidates must be willing to work in a team environment and be positive, inspirational, and student-centered.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Angie Simpson, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1880 Wolf River Blvd., Collierville, TN 38017.