2023-2024 MS SEL & Art
Soulsville Charter School
This new and unique role will work with all Middle School students once per week. We are looking for the right candidate to use the power of art to support and improve students’ social-emotional health.
- Plan, develop, and implement art and social-emotional learning curriculum to meet learning goals.
- Work to build and deepen a healthy school climate and culture by building an understanding of how to manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
- Utilizing pre-made SEL curriculum to support student social-emotional health.
1. Plan, develop and implement art and art history curriculum to meet learning goals
2. Purchase art materials and maintain the inventory of art materials
3. Instruct students in working in different drawing, painting, and coloring techniques
4. Discuss various artistic approaches and traditions and encourage students to express themselves artistically
5. Assign art projects to students, grade the finished art projects, conduct art exams and maintain records of the students’ progress
Begun in 2005, The Soulsville Charter School (TSCS)’s mission is to prepare students for success in college and life in an academically rigorous, music-rich environment. Located in the inner-city neighborhood of Soulsville, USA, in Memphis, TN, TSCS is adjacent to the site of historic Stax Records, where the Stax Museum of American Soul Music now celebrates and preserves the Stax story. TSCS began with sixty students in sixth grade and has since grown to serve 660+ students in grades 6-12 with about a third of the students living in the Soulsville community. TSCS is a tuition-free, public charter school that is about changing kids’ life trajectories.
The Soulsville Charter School’s unique, college-prep programming and school culture includes:
- Mission-Aligned Team
- Focused Approach to Curriculum: Backwards Planning, Data-Driven Instruction, Assigned and Mandatory Tutoring
- Character Education & Social-Emotional Learning through Advisory
- School-Wide Culture: Consistency for Students and Staff
- College Guidance and Alumni Support
- Unique Exposure Opportunities for Students
- Community Partnerships