Website Beacon College Prep
Beacon College Prep, a new charter elementary school located in Raleigh, invites energetic educators to apply for the position of Director of Instruction. The school is founded on the belief that all students, regardless of their previous education or zip code they were born into, can learn and achieve at high levels when held to the highest expectations. It is our mission to create a community that is academically rigorous, purposefully structured, and joyful, so we can prepare all scholars to succeed academically and to contribute positively to their communities.
The school opened in 2020 with two kindergarten and one first grade class. Beacon College Prep will add a grade level each year until we are a fully enrolled K-5 charter school. We are looking for high-capacity, energetic, detail-oriented, and joyful individuals to join our K-3 team
Job Description: A high-quality education is the right of every child, regardless of race, gender, socio-economic background, home language, or disability. Our focus on rigorous academics and character development will provide our scholars with an educational experience that prepares them for success in school, college, and life. Our Director of Instruction (DOI) is a key member of Beacon’s Academic Leadership Team, coaching and developing the academic rigorous focus within grade level teams. The DOI will report to the Head of School (HOS), serving as a trusted partner responsible for ensuring all scholars are academically, socially and emotionally prepared for today and tomorrow.
- Embody the mission of Beacon College Prep along with the organization’s core values.
- Work closely with the Head of School and leadership team to create and maintain a warm, focused, engaging achievement-oriented environment that meets the needs of all scholars.
- Analyze scholar achievement data and action plan in collaboration with staff and leadership on an ongoing basis.
- Monitor and track progress with teachers towards changes in scholar performance.
- Model rigorous, standards-aligned instruction for teachers to gain clarity on highly effective instruction.
- Coach and support teachers in their implementation of rigorous, cohesive, standards-aligned curriculum. This includes but is not limited to:
- Co-intellectual preparation efforts that support teachers in internalizing unit and lesson plans in alignment with the full scope and sequence for the school year.
- Engaging in deliberate practice to build teacher skills at executing effective instruction.
- Observe and “real-time coach” during instruction and provide teachers with explicit feedback on strengths and areas of growth. Provide teachers with action steps that continuously drive their skills and knowledge forward.
- Communicate regularly and proactively with staff, scholars and families.
- Plan and lead weekly data meetings across grade levels to identify key learning gaps and plan re-teach efforts to close those gaps.
- Develop and lead professional development in core content areas and key teacher skills with the expectation of increasing the capacity and abilities of our teaching force.
- Engage in follow-up monitoring and support efforts to ensure professional development efforts lead to improved practices and positive impacts on scholar learning.
- Engage directly in the hiring of new staff at the school level as needed.
- Continuously desire and use feedback to make productive changes in overall performance.
- Complete all administrative requirements before given deadlines.
- Participate in additional activities including field trips, intensive academic support sessions, and other required programs as needed throughout the year to best support our adults and children.
- Assist in coordination and management of all standardized student assessments and evaluations, including federal and state required assessments, quarterly assessments, and curriculum-based assessments.
- Participate in groupings and monitoring of small group instruction, use of district-approved online learning platforms for RTI(A); co-lead RTI(A) Data meetings
- Supports teachers in the implementation of social-emotional learning structures and strategies, including class-based morning meetings, curriculum, and mindful practices
- Bachelor’s degree
- Valid Tennessee teacher certification
- At least 1 year of Leadership Experience, required
- Proven track record of implementing and/or coaching with Common Core standards-aligned curriculum in grades K-5.
- Minimum of two years working in urban education with a history of significant gains in student performance/growth.
- Strong track record of success in building positive staff, student and parent relationships.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Demonstrates ability to work collaboratively within a diverse school community.
- Strong organizational skills as evidenced by exceptional time and task management.
- Openness to feedback and a strong desire for continual growth and development as a professional.
- Willingness to take responsibility for scholar outcomes and achievement
- Demonstrates alignment with Beacon’s mission and vision, required
- Spanish Proficiency, preferred, but not required
Salary & Benefits: Beacon College Prep offers a competitive salary (starting at $70,000), comprehensive health benefits, and retirement benefits. All of our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary instructional supplies. Beacon is also committed to offering professional development opportunities.
Start Date: All teaching staff will begin in July 2022.