Website Beacon College Prep
Beacon College Prep, a new charter elementary school located in Raleigh, invites energetic educators to apply to the position of ESL/ELL Coordinator. The school is founded on the belief that all scholars, regardless of their previous education or zip code they were born into, can learn and achieve at high levels when held to the highest expectations. It is our mission to create a community that is academically rigorous, purposefully structured, and joyful, so we can prepare all scholars to succeed academically and to contribute positively to their communities.
The school opened in 2020 with two kindergarten and one first grade class. Beacon College Prep will add a grade level each year until we are a fully enrolled K-5 charter school. Thus, for the 2022-23 School year we are looking for high-capacity, energetic, detail-oriented, and joyful individuals to join our Team of K-3 teachers.
Job Description: A high-quality education is the right of every child, regardless of race, gender, socio-economic background, home language, or disability. Our focus on rigorous academics and character development will provide our scholars with an educational experience that prepares them for success in school, college, and life. Our ESL/ELL Coordinator are responsible for providing excellent instruction to all scholars including our scholars requiring ELL services. ELL teachers are also responsible for facilitating all supports for our ELLs, including collaborating with our general education teachers. They will actively participate in professional development and form strong relationships with both scholars and families.
- Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of ELL learning.
- Help to establish and communicate policies and operating procedures for English Language Learners programs and activities.
- Establish a rigorous, supportive, and joyful culture within the ELL support team that has high expectations for scholars and teachers.
- Instruct ELL scholars with purpose, clarity, and urgency as needed/appropriate.
- Coordinate services among internal and external providers.
- Carefully monitor scholar progress to ensure that needs are being met across ELL groups and cohorts.
- Manage the screening and assessment of ELL scholars.
- Carefully monitor and manage matters pertaining to compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Serve as the school’s liaison in matters pertaining to English Language Learners.
- Identify and spread best practices for ELL instruction, including promising practices from within and outside of Beacon College Prep.
- Welcome opportunities to develop professionally.
- Manage scholar behavior in accordance with the school-wide management system.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, scholars, school leaders, and teachers.
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate and effective techniques for engaging parents as they learn similar techniques to assist in the academic and/or development of his/her child.
Management of Scholar Support Services
- Manage and oversee ESL/ELL programming
- Aid teachers to improve on their instructional practice, especially as it relates to supporting the academic and social progress of English language learners.
Professional Development for Staff
- As needed, plan, implement, and provide ongoing professional development and feedback to all staff, focusing on differentiation and supporting scholars with ELL needs.
- Oversee the implementation of professional development related to English language learner support and revise as necessary in response to scholar and teacher needs.
- Organize summer training and weekly professional development days English language learner support in coordination with the Head of School.
- Conduct classroom observations and follow-up with targeted support for teachers to help them become even more effective in serving English Language Learning scholars; be available to work with teachers to problem-solve areas of instructional difficulty
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- At least 3 years of experience as an ESL educator
- Tennessee teaching licensing with ELL endorsement (or current enrollment in a licensure program)
- Experience in an urban public school is preferred, but not required
Salary & Benefits: Beacon College Prep offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, and retirement benefits. All of our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary instructional supplies. Beacon is also committed to offering professional development opportunities.
Start Date: All teaching staff will begin July 2022.