Website Compass Community Schools
Middle Grades (6-8) Classroom Teacher
2023-24 School Year
Compass Community Schools is seeking experienced middle grades classroom teachers across our five K-8 campuses (Berclair, Binghampton, Frayser, Hickory Hill and Orange Mound) for the 2023-2024 school year.
Our 3 grades in middle school (6th, 7th and 8th) are divided among 3 content areas – one teacher responsible for English-language arts, one teacher for mathematics, and one teacher for both science and social studies.
Middle School Teacher Pay & Perks:
- Intentionally small school settings – K-8 sites have only about 225 students in total
- Collaborative professional development (PLCs) supported by a network level content lead (Director of Math, Director of English-Language Arts, and science and social studies content leader)
- Robust medical, dental, and vision plan with significant employer contributions to premiums
- 100% employer-funded short-term disability, life, and accidental death insurance
- Contributions in the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System (AAA-rated pension plan)
- Salary ranges from $44,000 to $51,500
- Sign-on bonuses available
Middle School Teacher Qualifications:
- REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree
- PREFERRED: valid Tennessee teaching license (generally, with endorsement #121 for ELA teachers, #122 for math, and both #123 and #124 for the science/social studies teacher)
- ENCOURAGED: Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
- Affinity with, and passion for, the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
- Strong content knowledge in specific content areas (English-language arts, math, science and social studies)
- Driving commitment to advance student learning
- Ability to lead students toward a joyful and productive learning environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to build productive relationships with students and colleagues
- Desire to work hard in a balanced, extended school calendar
- Utmost personal and professional integrity
Middle School Teacher Primary Responsibilities:
- Imparting a love of content on students prior to their high-school experience
- Support and contribute to a school-wide focus on three pillars: academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community.
- Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of student learning.
- Establish a supportive, joyful, and hopeful classroom culture that has high expectations for students’ individual and collective success.
- Instruct students with purpose, clarity, and urgency.
- Monitor student progress to ensure that student needs are being met.
- Communicate regularly with families as partners in the education of their children.
- Welcome opportunities to develop professionally.
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools opened six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one high) in the Memphis community. Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.