2023-2024 K-5 Classroom Teacher
Website Compass Community Schools
Elementary (K-5) Classroom Teacher
2023-24 School Year
Compass Community Schools is seeking experienced elementary school classroom teachers across our five K-8 campuses (Berclair, Binghampton, Frayser, Hickory Hill and Orange Mound) for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Kindergarten through 3rd grade are self-contained, and teachers are responsible for all content areas (English-language arts, math, science and social studies).
- 4th and 5th grade departmentalize – one teacher is responsible for ELA and social studies, and the other is responsible for math and science).
Elementary School Teacher Pay & Perks:
- Intentionally small school settings – K-8 sites have only about 225 students in total, and one classroom per grade level
- Collaborative professional development (PLCs) supported by a network level Director of English-Language Arts and network level Director of Math
- Robust medical, dental, and vision plan with significant employer contributions to premiums
- 100% employer-funded short-term disability, life, and accidental death insurance
- Contributions in the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System (AAA-rated pension plan)
- Salary ranges from $44,000 to $51,500
- Sign-on bonuses available
Elementary Teacher Qualifications:
- REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree
- PREFERRED: valid Tennessee teaching license (generally, with endorsement #120)
- ENCOURAGED: Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
- Affinity with, and passion for, the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
- Strong content knowledge in all content areas
- Driving commitment to advance student learning
- Ability to lead students toward a joyful and productive learning environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to build productive relationships with students and colleagues
- Desire to work hard in a balanced, extended school calendar
- Utmost personal and professional integrity
Elementary Teacher Primary Responsibilities:
- Imparting a love of learning in our youngest students
- Support and contribute to a school-wide focus on three pillars: academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community.
- Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of student learning.
- Establish a supportive, joyful, and hopeful classroom culture that has high expectations for students’ individual and collective success.
- Instruct students with purpose, clarity, and urgency.
- Monitor student progress to ensure that student needs are being met.
- Communicate regularly with families as partners in the education of their children.
- Welcome opportunities to develop professionally.
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools opened six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one high) in the Memphis community. Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.