Website Compass Community Schools
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools opened six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one middle/high) in the Memphis communities of Binghampton, Berclair, Frayser, Hickory Hill, Midtown, and Orange Mound. We will focus intently on three pillars – academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community – as we prepare our students for college and life-long success.
Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.
Compass Community Schools seeks a full time Instructional Support/Special Education teacher for the 2022-2023 school year. We seek teachers who know their content backwards and forwards and are passionate about preparing Memphis youth academically and in character for college and life-long success. Our teachers will enjoy and benefit from our intentionally small school settings, which will help them to develop trusting, positive relationships with their students and colleagues.
- Support and contribute to a school-wide focus on three pillars: academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community.
- Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of student learning.
- Establish a supportive, joyful, and hopeful classroom culture that has high expectations for students’ individual and collective success.
- Instruct ELL students with purpose, clarity, and urgency.
- Coordinate services among internal and external providers.
- Carefully monitor student progress to ensure that student needs are being met.
- Help to establish and communicate policies and operating procedures for English Language Learners programs and activities.
- Manage the screening and assessment of ELL students.
- Carefully monitor and manage matters pertaining to compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Serve as the school’s liaison in matters pertaining to English Language Learners.
- Identify and spread best practices for ELL instruction, including promising practices from within and outside of Compass Community Schools.
- Communicate regularly with families as partners in the education of their children.
- Welcome opportunities to develop professionally.
- Tennessee teaching licensing with ELL endorsement
- Affinity with, and passion for, the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
- Strong content knowledge
- Driving commitment to advance student learning
- Ability to lead students toward a joyful and productive learning environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to build productive relationships with students and colleagues
- Desire to work hard in a balanced, extended school calendar
- Utmost personal and professional integrity
- Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
What We Offer
- Mission-driven, joyful, respectful working environments
- Intentionally small school settings
- Opportunity to positively impact the lives of Memphis youth
- Competitive compensation and benefits package