Website Compass Community Schools
Compass Community Schools seeks a middle grades (6th-8th) mathematics teacher for an immediate opening at our Orange Mound campus. We seek teachers who know their content backwards and forwards and are passionate about preparing Memphis youth academically and in character for college and life-long success. Our teachers will enjoy and benefit from our intentionally small school settings, which will help them to develop trusting, positive relationships with their students and colleagues.
- Support and contribute to a school-wide focus on three pillars: academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community.
- Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of student learning.
- Establish a supportive, joyful, and hopeful classroom culture that has high expectations for students’ individual and collective success.
- Consistently teach with purpose, clarity, and urgency.
- Carefully monitor student progress and make necessary instructional adjustments to ensure student success.
- Communicate regularly with families as partners in the education of their children.
- Welcome opportunities to develop professionally.
- Affinity with, and passion for, the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
- Strong content knowledge
- Driving commitment to advance student learning
- Ability to lead students toward a joyful and productive learning environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to build productive relationships with students and colleagues
- Desire to work hard in a balanced, extended school calendar
- Utmost personal and professional integrity
- Tennessee teaching licensing or eligibility to obtain one
What We Offer
Mission-driven, joyful, respectful working environments
Intentionally small school settings
Opportunity to positively impact the lives of Memphis youth
Competitive compensation and benefits package
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools will open six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one middle/high) in the Memphis communities of Binghampton, Berclair, Frayser, Hickory Hill, Midtown, and Orange Mound. We will focus intently on three pillars – academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community– as we prepare our students for college and life-long success.
Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.