Website Compass Community Schools
Special Education Classroom Teacher
2023-24 School Year
Compass Community Schools is seeking experienced special education classroom teachers across our six campuses (five K-8 sites at Berclair, Binghampton, Frayser, Hickory Hill and Orange Mound, and one 9-12 high school in Midtown) for the 2023-2024 school year.
Special Education Teacher Pay & Perks:
- Intentionally small school settings – K-8 sites have only about 225 students in total, and one classroom per grade level; Midtown high school has less than 400 students in total.
- Collaborative professional development (PLCs) supported by a network level Director of Special Education, as well as network-level content leads
- Robust medical, dental, and vision plan with significant employer contributions to premiums
- 100% employer-funded short-term disability, life, and accidental death insurance
- Contributions in the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System (AAA-rated pension plan)
- Salary ranges from $46,000 to $53,500
- Sign-on bonuses available
Special Education Teacher Qualifications:
- REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree
- REQUIRED: valid Tennessee teaching license (generally, with endorsement #144, #145 or #461)
- ENCOURAGED: Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
- Affinity with, and passion for, the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
- Strong content knowledge in all content areas
- Driving commitment to advance student learning
- Ability to lead students toward a joyful and productive learning environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to build productive relationships with students and colleagues
- Desire to work hard in a balanced, extended school calendar
- Utmost personal and professional integrity
Special Education Teacher Primary Responsibilities:
- Imparting a love of learning in our students who need the most support
- Oversee progress monitoring to ensure that special education student needs are being met.
- Implement special education policies and operating procedures with utmost compliance and integrity.
- Ensure student records are carefully maintained and that all timelines are adhered to regarding student evaluations.
- Lead due process hearings and IEP meetings.
- Support and contribute to a school-wide focus on three pillars: academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community.
- Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of student learning.
- Establish a supportive, joyful, and hopeful classroom culture that has high expectations for students’ individual and collective success.
- Instruct students with purpose, clarity, and urgency.
- Monitor student progress to ensure that student needs are being met.
- Communicate regularly with families as partners in the education of their children.
- Welcome opportunities to develop professionally.
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools opened six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one high) in the Memphis community. Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.