Website Gestalt Community Schools
Building A Better Community Through Education
Gestalt Community Schools is a system of K--12 college--preparatory charter schools in targeted Tennessee communities. GCS schools provide strong academic outcomes for their scholars through initiatives including meaningful community involvement. GCS catalyzes community leadership to help revitalize the neighborhood as it operates its schools in that community. Instead of debating whether education impacts the community or vice versa, GCS believes that the most effective method to support student achievement is an integration of education and community (a true “gestalt”).
Plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students with disabilities in a variety of educational settings. The person in this position is responsible for creating a flexible program and learning environment that provides specialized instruction for students with disabilities.
Provide direct and indirect instructional support to students in a positive environment;
• Employ special educational strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of sensory-- and perceptual--motor skills, language, cognition, and memory;
• Instruct students in academic subjects using a variety of techniques such as phonetics, multi--sensory learning, and repetition to reinforce learning and to meet students’ varying needs and interests;
• Teach socially acceptable behavior, as determined by the students’ individualized education programs (IEPs) by employing techniques in an overall positive behavioral support system;
• Modify the general education curriculum for students with disabilities based upon a variety of instructional techniques and technologies;
• Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate;
• Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining an environment conducive to learning for all students;
• Meet with parents to discuss their children’s progress and to determine priorities for their children and their individualized educational needs;
• Confer with parents, administrators, testing specialists, social workers, and other professionals to develop individualized education programs (IEPs) designed to promote students’ educational, physical, and social/emotional development;
• Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare reports on children and activities, as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations;
• Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students;
• Develop plans for effective communication, monitoring, and follow--up of students in inclusive classroom settings;
• Provide crisis intervention, as needed, for students and those in inclusive classrooms;
• Assist in collection of data for providing appropriate classroom interventions;
• Serve as a member of a multidisciplinary team as appropriate;
• Assist in preparation of data for local, state, and federal reports;
• Maintain professional competence by participating in staff development activities, curriculum development meetings, and other professional opportunities;
• Responsible for compliance and reporting obligations for scholars and assigned location; and,
• Perform related work as required;
• Other duties as assigned.
Holds a current TN teaching license in Special Education or Interventionist with appropriate endorsement codes (Required)
• Have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
• Proven track record of academic success as evident in TVAAS, state assessments, and value ad data.
• Hold the belief that all students can learn at high academic levels.
• Uses digital content, technology integration, and project-based learning in a highly proficient manner.
• Have the ability to work in an extended day environment.
• Have the ability to teach in an inclusion environment with a co-teacher.
• Good communication and written skills required.
• A team player with strong interpersonal skills.