Website Journey Community Schools
Behind every successful student is a passionate and dedicated team. Together, we will change the odds for underserved students, ensuring that every student is prepared to excel in all areas of life.
SPED Instructional Assistants support classroom teacher(s) in providing a high quality, personalized education program for students during the school day and/or in the after school program. The SPED Instructional Assistant position is an ideal position for individuals who have an interest in pursuing a career as an educator.
What You Will Do:
- Assist Special Education teacher in supporting students with disabilities in the general education curriculum by creating the daily schedule
- Provide services, supports and interventions directly to students under guidance and daily supervision of Special Education teacher, to ensure students meet academic and behavioral goal, provide 1:1 support to student in classroom, explain instructions to students, model appropriate behavior, communicate regularly with classroom teacher.
- Help provide testing accommodations, (e.g., supervise student testing in a separate location or during an extended time, etc.)
- Assist student and classroom teacher to implement behavior plan
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Aspire Public Schools mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
What You Will Bring:
- Knowledge of child cognitive development and different learning styles
- Ability and willingness to implement JCS Instructional Guidelines and Best Practices
- Ability and willingness to reflect and improve
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing conditions; ability and good judgement to take initiative to modify activities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to collaborate with general education and special education colleagues, parents and community
- Associate’s degree or successful completion of 2 years of college experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Teaching, or related field preferred
- 1+ year working with students as a teacher, teacher intern, or teaching assistant preferred
Journey Community Schools offers its employees a competitive salary and benefits, including paid time off, small payroll contributions for rich benefit plans, life insurance/short-term and long-term disability, participation in a TN state retirement plan, tuition reimbursement plan, and adoption assistance program.
Journey Community Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. JCS promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.