K-8 Reading Specialist
Gestalt Community Schools
The role of the Reading Specialist is to provide high-quality instruction, support, and leadership to produce high-quality outcomes in the area of Reading and Literacy for the students at Gestalt Community Schools. The Reading Specialist assists with establishing school-wide and individual reading goals. Additionally, the Reading Specialist will provide interventions to scholars and work with teachers to implement additional support in the classroom. The Reading Specialist will lead the charge in creating a culture of reading that ensures strong reading instruction, excitement about books, and a genuine, institutional love for reading.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and facilitate school-wide literacy programs.
- Provide support to teachers and provide strategies to improve instruction that will support literacy growth across the curriculum.
- Assists struggling students in improving their literacy skills.
- Collaborates with teachers in all departments to promote the learning and implementation of best practices in literacy instruction.
- Creates and examines data to measure the success of literacy programs and instruction.
- Teach targeted literacy intervention to small groups of students daily using research-based strategies and resources.
- Conduct individual and school-wide assessments to evaluate levels and targeted interventions. Review student achievement and assist with placing students in appropriate reading and writing intervention and support services.
- Meet regularly with the classroom teachers to plan literacy instruction that correlates with the individual student’s needs or as requested by the classroom teacher.
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor of Instruction
- Hold a valid TN Teaching License. (Required)
- Masters in Literacy or Reading Specialist endorsement (required)
- Practices aligned with the Science of Reading
- Strong communications skills to support adult learning
- The ability to develop professional development modules