Assistant Teacher 2023-2024 School Year
Website Libertas School of Memphis
Cultivate minds, hands, and hearts in Memphis!
Job Description: Assistant Teacher
Libertas School of Memphis is a Montessori, liberal arts public charter elementary school serving a high-need neighborhood in Memphis. Our mission is to be a school for human flourishing: cultivating minds, hands, and hearts for lives of wonder, work, and love. We offer students from preschool through fifth grade a rich, rigorous, and personalized education in multi-age classrooms through Montessori learning, supported with rich liberal arts content through Core Knowledge, and the best practices of high-performing urban schools. This work is done within an attachment village of supports between school, families, and our community.
Role summary and information
- Help Lead Teacher run a peaceful, orderly, rich, nurturing classroom that cultivates children’s minds, hearts, and hands for lives of wonder, work, and love.
- Assist classroom lead teacher and reinforce the instruction taught in the classroom to students. At times, take lead position when giving lessons to individuals, small groups, in pull-out lessons, or in lead teacher absence.
- Participate in building relationships with families to foster open and responsive communication about student growth and needs.
- Full-time role. Work hours will vary with the published school calendar; instructional hours roughly 7:35 AM – 3:30 PM (faculty meetings until 4:30 on Wednesdays). Assist with periodic school events outside of the normal schedule.
- Start date: In-house professional development begins in late July for most employees.
- Reports to: Lead Teacher, evaluated by Principal
- Measures of success for position to include student academic growth, family satisfaction, observation feedback, performance evaluations, and related indicators.
- Meaningful professional development and advancement opportunities.
- Key relationships: Students and Families; Teachers; School Leaders
Planning and Instruction
- Work with teacher to observe and support children, prepare and protect the environment, and give lessons as directed by lead
- Answer children’s questions, grade assignments, and give lessons and assessments as directed by lead
- When class is not in session, assist by entering grades or typing up class observation notes, preparing Montessori works, and cleaning and organizing the classroom
- Assume lead role during lead teacher absences
- Foster habits of excellence, including order and grace & courtesy, through schoolwide and classroom-level practices and rituals, such as connecting before redirecting, using a warm and firm tone, matching children with works in the environment, tending the heart of virtue through presenting beautiful literature, and sharing responsibility for all our children
- Be a model of character and striving toward virtue for students
- Supervise students within the classroom and outside of the classroom on the playground, during bathroom breaks, at lunch time and on field trips
- Participate in classroom family communication and meetings
- Assist in preparing monthly progress reports and quarterly report cards
Professional Development and Relationships
- Check-in with lead teacher in formal meeting at least weekly
- Observe and provide feedback at least twice per term to lead teacher
- Participate in formal check-in with academic support team member at least biweekly
- Participate in teacher meetings and pairings, team and school-wide planning and professional development, and data reviews
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Traits
- Preferred experience working or volunteering in high-need communities and/or Montessori environment.
- Interest in and commitment to Montessori and liberal arts.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- At least associate’s degree and/or appropriate child care credential preferred.
- Warm and firm demeanor.
- Love of learning.
- Flexibility, initiative, and personal responsibility to work in fast-paced, startup environment.
- Fortitude for the challenges we will face.
- Work collaboratively, with a growth mindset. Give and receive feedback in a spirit of craftsmanship.
- Salary/wage $15-19 per hour
- Eligible for increases, bonuses, or stipends for performance or additional duties.
- Investment in faculty professional development and growth. We also offer to eligible applicants our Teacher Residency program, which provides financial sponsorship and additional coaching and support to achieve state licensure and/or Montessori certification. Please contact us for more details.
- Paid sick leave. Deferred pay model distributes salary throughout the year (including breaks and vacations).
- Full time employees are eligible for health insurance benefits, which we sponsor at an above-market rate (approx. 80% covered by employer for all levels of coverage). We also offer dental, vision, and other benefits, and retirement plans similar to local schools.
Interested candidates should apply online at www.LibertasMemphis.org, where candidates can also learn more about our school. Please submit a resume, at least three references, and a cover letter (required) explaining why you would be a good fit for this position. Please direct any questions to hr@LibertasMemphis.org. Libertas does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
Libertas School of Memphis
$21,500.00 – $27,000.00 / Per Year