Website Libertas School of Memphis
Libertas School of Memphis is a Montessori, liberal arts public charter elementary school serving a high-need neighborhood in Memphis. Our mission is to be a school for human flourishing: cultivating minds, hands, and hearts for lives of wonder, work, and love. We offer students from preschool through fifth grade a rich, rigorous, and personalized education through Montessori learning, supported with rich liberal arts content through Core Knowledge, and the best practices of high-performing urban schools. This work is done within an attachment village of supports between school, families, and our community.
- Lead Physical Education classes for groups of approximately 20-25 elementary-aged children to promote physical activity, develop motor skills, and encourage proper exercise and healthy living.
- Full-time role (approximately 7:30 AM – 3:30 p.m. daily, Wednesday staff meetings until 4:30 p.m.)
- Assist with periodic school events outside of the normal schedule.
- Supervise students within the classroom and outside of the classroom as needed, including at lunch, recess, and nap.
- Reports to: Principal.
- Key relationships: students and classroom teachers
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Traits
- At least two years of effective teaching or coaching experience in high-need communities and/or Montessori environments preferred.
- State teaching license with physical education endorsement strongly preferred, but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required.
- Exceptional group management skills, including the ability to manage a group of 20-25 children in a physical education setting.
- Willing to serve all children, regardless of background or needs, in an inclusive and supportive setting.
- Fortitude for the challenges we will face.
- Flexible, takes initiative, and has a strong sense of personal ownership of responsibilities.
- Work collaboratively, with a growth mindset.
- Give and receive feedback in a spirit of craftsmanship.
- Model of character and virtue.
- Dedication to support human flourishing through the school’s philosophy of wonder, work, and love for all students.
- Salary/wage competitive with the local school district and nearby charter schools.
- Eligible for increases, bonuses, or stipends for performance or additional duties.
- Investment in faculty professional development and growth.
- We also offer to eligible applicants our Teacher Residency program, which provides financial sponsorship and additional coaching and support to achieve state licensure and/or Montessori certification. Please contact us for more details.
- Paid sick leave.
- Deferred pay model distributes salary throughout the year (including breaks and vacations).
- Health and retirement benefits similar to or better than market averages.