Literacy Instructional Coach (2023-2024)
Website Memphis Rise Academy
Memphis Rise Academy’s academic team supports teachers at our school through curricular review, instructional and cultural feedback, creation and execution of professional development and partnership in staff goal-setting and growth. Instructional Coaches, under the leadership of a Director of Curriculum and Instruction, work with a defined caseload of teachers on these and other priorities throughout the school year. We are looking for individuals who are motivated to work in an environment that is focused on supporting teachers as they constantly work to improve their craft.
- Maintain a coaching caseload of ELA or Social Studies teachers and serve as the primary curricular reviewer and instructional coach for those teachers throughout the school year
- Instructional Coaches at Memphis Rise Academy generally focus on a single curricular area. The candidate eventually hired for this role should expect to maintain a coaching caseload of either ELA teachers or Social Studies teachers, depending on their background/area of expertise. Instructional coaches in both the ELA and Social Studies content areas are considered to be part of the Literacy department, and report to the Director of Literacy Curriculum and Instruction.
- Serve as the reviewer and giver of feedback of teachers’ long-term planning documents, including the yearlong Scope and Sequence and quarterly Pacing Calendar, calibrating feedback to meet both the school’s and the teacher’s classroom goals and vision
- Serve as the reviewer of daily curriculum for teachers assigned to coaching caseload, providing granular feedback on resources, and submitting feedback to teachers on a cycle predetermined by the Director of Literacy Curriculum and Instruction (DLCI)
- Create curricular supplementations, lessons, and/or units that may further ELA/Social Studies teachers’ ability to meet objective-aligned curricular goals and/or amplify instruction in their courses
- Conduct classroom observations on a schedule predetermined and in conjunction with DLCI, observing curriculum implementation, sharing academic and cultural observation notes and feedback with DLCI, and identifying instructional priorities and feedback to share with teachers assigned to coaching caseload
- Occasionally lead-teach or co-teach with teachers assigned to coaching caseload to model effective instructional execution and classroom management
- Conduct coaching meetings with teachers assigned to coaching caseload on a schedule predetermined with DLCI to discuss curricular and observational feedback and goals and practice instructional strategies and plan for implementation
- Support in the development of ELA/Social Studies-specific professional development content, sessions, or breakout groups, following timelines for completion established by the DLCI
- Occasionally co-facilitate professional development sessions with DLCI and/or other coaches and facilitate ELA/Social Studies-specific professional development sessions or breakout groups
- As a secondary member of the school’s coverage team, occasionally lead-teach classes during teacher absences
- Assist with various school events, initiatives, and operations related to Registration, Parent-Teacher Conferences, school arrival and dismissal, and other times/responsibilities as needed
- Other reasonable duties designed to complement those above, assigned by the DLCI, Principal or members of Memphis Rise Academy’s Leadership Team
Ideal Candidates _______________________________________________________________
- Required: Licensed educator in Tennessee (or able to be licensed in Tennessee) with an English endorsement
- Required: At least 3-5 years of experience as an ELA or Social Studies teacher at the middle and/or high school level
- Preferred: Previous school-based leadership or sub-leadership experience
Our ideal candidates are individuals who understand that doing the best we can for students every day is the ultimate goal, and reaching that goal requires flexibility, creativity, true belief in the potential of our students and school, and an asset-based mindset towards all school stakeholders. We are looking for people who want to commit themselves to preparing our students for college and being engines for them to, in many cases, begin believing that college is not just a possibility, but a realistic and achievable goal.
Position Specifications ___________________________________________________________
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hours: This role will work during typical staff hours of 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday with additional hours as assigned or appropriate for the workload.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position serves as the primary instructional coach for several teachers, but does not include direct managerial responsibilities.
Travel: Rare (5 or fewer days per year)
Physical Demands: This position may seldom require lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: The majority of this role is completed in a school setting, which is made up of work in offices, classrooms, and other public areas of a school building.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Memphis Rise Academy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
How to Apply__________________________________________________________________
To apply for any open position at Memphis Rise Academy, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.