Operations and Community Manager
Freedom Preparatory Academy Charter Schools (www.freedomprep.org/fpa-birmingham) is a PK-12 charter school currently operating in Memphis, TN with a planned campus opening in Birmingham, AL in the Fall of 2024. Our mission is to prepare all students in grades K-12 to excel in college and in life. Freedom Preparatory Academy opened in August of 2009 with a class of 96 6th graders. We now serve over 2400 students in grades PreK-12. Our students have exceeded local and state averages in math and local averages in English language arts on the state exam.
We have three core beliefs that drive our mission: Every child deserves the right to a high-quality public education, a foundation in character development is essential, and direct exposure to an array of opportunities and experiences provides each child with the self-confidence and social knowledge to compete globally. We will accomplish our mission through a highly structured, academically rigorous environment where students will master the core subjects, develop advanced academic skills, and demonstrate our core values of: Respect, Responsibility, Integrity, Excellence, and Community.
The Operations and Community Manager is responsible for assisting with the day-to-day operations including facility development support, student/family recruitment, student enrollment, all in support of Freedom Prep Academy’s expansion into Birmingham, AL. This position reports to the Alabama Regional Director. The candidate acts as a liaison between the contracted facility development partners, local vendors, community entities, and the Regional Director. The candidate will also assist in the oversight of school facility renovation, and preparation for the opening of the school in the Fall of 2024. The Operations and Community Manager will also help to develop and execute Freedom Prep’s student enrollment plan in the city. This position is based in the Birmingham area, and will operate remotely as well as in-person, until the school facility is operational. Upon facilities readiness, the role will be housed at a Freedom Prep school site and will be expected to arrive no later than 30 minutes prior to the start of school and leave no earlier than 30 minutes after dismissal is complete.
- Create and maintain relationships with local community-based organizations and other groups that work with urban youth from a full range of communities to identify productive avenues to support recruitment of future students
- Serve as a school liaison to the surrounding community
- Plan community engagement activities
- Design and produce regular reports on community outreach results and recommend future initiatives based on school needs
Recruitment of Students and Staff
- Maintain student interest portal and interest list
- Effectively co-develop and execute the student enrollment and recruitment plan
- Identify and engage staff recruitment opportunities and local groups that may present hiring opportunities
- Collaborate with the Regional Director to execute community and city-wide informational events with assistance from Freedom Prep’s local public relations partners
- Assist in the recruitment and hiring of Teaching, Office, and Support Staff
- Coordinate with contracted facility development partners (Contractors, Architects, Owner Representatives, etc.)
- Compile, maintain, and update a variety of records, including but not limited to, purchase orders, inventory data, and invoices from vendors.
- Supervise support personnel
- Provide general clerical duties, including preparing correspondence and forms, email, fax, file and scanning of documents.
- Monitor and oversee vendor performance as directed by the Regional Director
- Exemplify the core values of Freedom Prep at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master Degree strongly preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to the educational mission, vision, and goals of Freedom Prep
- Strong computer skills including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong administrative skills including attention to detail, maintaining a well-organized filing system (paper and digital), and adequate project management skills.
- Ability to anticipate problems and resolve them before they arise.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; pleasant demeanor on the phone and in person.
- Knowledge of business and management principles, involving strategic planning, resources allocation, and coordination of people and resources.
- Results-oriented individual – a flexible thinker willing to do “whatever it takes”
- Experience in Operations at a non-profit organization or public, private, or charter school
- Experience with youth programs, successfully working with urban youth
- Motivational and energetic leader who is committed to excellence
- Unwavering in pursuit of excellence even in the face of difficult opposition and challenge
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of people
- Analytical problem-solver and solutions-oriented strategic thinker who has overcome difficult organizational challenges
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, delegate, and lead by example
REPORTS TO Alabama Regional Director