School Library Media Specialist
Memphis Delta Preparatory Charter School
LIBRARY AND MEDIA SPECIALIST
The mission of Memphis Delta Preparatory (MDP) Charter School is to support and grow productive and well-rounded citizens who will succeed in college and beyond. We will work tirelessly to ensure that all of our students are prepared to reach, attend, and graduate from highly selective colleges and universities. A completed course of study at a top-tier college will allow our students to build and support healthy and happy families, empower and improve their Memphis neighborhoods, and enjoy a rich intellectual life. Memphis Delta Prep opened with 250 students in grades K-4 in 2016.
At full capacity, MDP will serve 480 students in grades K-5 in the South Memphis community.
THE MDP DIFFERENCE FOR EDUCATORS
The word “Delta” in “Memphis Delta Prep” refers not only to Memphis’s historic gateway location but also to the Greek letter used to denote change.
We believe that to change outcomes for students and families, we must change our practice as educators — and fast! Our goal is to accelerate the learning of our students by accelerating the skill growth of our teachers. To do this, we spend significantly more time than other schools on developing, supporting, and coaching our teachers. To make this possible:
- The coach-to-teacher ratio is kept at 15:1 or less.
- The operations team is responsible for all non-instructional tasks throughout the building.
- the schedule includes ample time for teacher practice, coaching, planning, and collaboration; and
- We hire growth-minded teachers who love to practice and to improve their craft from day to day, hour to hour.
We ensure our teachers feel supported by our operations program, celebrated for their excellence, happy to be engaged in the fun work of teaching alongside great colleagues, and excited about the incredible opportunity to learn and improve in each moment.
The Library Media Specialist holds primary responsibility for the implementation of MDP’s library and media program and the success of MDP students in library and media. The Library Media Specialist reports to the Managing Director of Academics.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Practice and develop Key Teacher Skills daily.
- Bring joy and excitement to work every day.
- Collaborate with staff to implement activities that integrate library media and technology skills into classroom curricula.
- Collaborate with teachers, administrators, and others to ensure that the full range of information resources are available to promote student learning.
- Utilize various curriculum resources.
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of current legislation and regulations regarding access, copyright, and other legal issues that affect the library media program.
- Create lesson plans.
- Work with special education team to implement accommodations and modifications for students with IEPs, 504 plans, and/or
Behavior Intervention Plans
- Organize materials, resources, and space to support learning.
- Plan, prepare, and deliver instructional activities.
- Create, review, and grade student assignments and assessments.
- Use assessment data and feedback structures to inform instructional decisions.
- Observe and provide feedback for other teachers.
- Uphold MDP’s detailed and consistent behavioral systems.
- Schedule regular, systematic data collection; make decisions based on data analysis to develop plans for the continuous improvement of the program.
- Work with staff to determine the school’s information and instructional needs.
- Communicate with students with optimistic growth mindset language.
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards.
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues.
- Model ethical and responsible use of information and technology.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for academic subjects
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player
- Belief in and alignment with MDP’s mission
LIBRARY AND MEDIA SPECIALIST
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- Valid TN teaching license in appropriate grade level/content area OR enrollment in an approved teacher preparation program
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to move about the classroom and school to teach and monitor students.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position when necessary while teaching.
- Ability to model required library and media skills.
- Ability to operate instructional technology such as laptop, projector, and document camera.
- Ability to occasionally move objects under 10 pounds.
- Sensory: Position requires typical visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, and speaking abilities.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Memphis Delta Preparatory is committed to creating a diverse staff and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. MDP will provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with school leadership.
Nothing in this job description restricts school leadership’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $36,200.00 – $45,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Memphis, TN 38106: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Library services: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person