Special Education Teacher
Memphis College Prep
Memphis College Prep is a Kindergarten through Fifth grade public charter school that believes college begins in kindergarten.
Working with the Special Education Facilitator, the Special Education Teacher plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students with disabilities and/or who need academic and behavioral support in a variety of educational settings. The Special Education Teacher is responsible for creating a flexible program and learning environment that provides specialized instruction for students, such that the students benefit from the general education curriculum to the greatest extent possible when supported with supplemental aides, accommodations, and other needed supports. The Special Education Teacher is managed by the Principal.
- Provide direct and indirect instructional support to students in a positive learning environment.
- Instruct students in academic subjects, kindergarten through fifth grade using a variety of techniques to reinforce learning and to meet students’ varying needs and interests, while establishing clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- Teach socially acceptable behavior, as determined by the students’ individualized education programs (IEPs) by employing techniques in an overall positive behavioral support system.
- Modify the general education curriculum for students with disabilities and/or need academic support in a small group setting, based upon a variety of instructional techniques and technologies.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining an environment conducive to learning for all students.
- Meets with parents to discuss their children’s progress and to determine priorities for their children and their individualized educational needs.
- Confer with parents, administrators, testing specialists, the Dean of Student Supports, and other professionals to develop individualized education programs (IEPs) designed to promote students’ educational, physical, and social/emotional development.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records and prepare reports on children and activities, as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Develop plans for effective communication, monitoring, and follow-up of students in inclusive classroom settings.
- Assist in collection of data for providing appropriate classroom and tiered interventions
Tennessee Special Education Certification required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A commitment to Memphis College Prep and its values; an understanding of Memphis College Prep’s mission and unwavering commitment to fulfill it.
- Openness to feedback, a willingness to take personal responsibility for the affairs of the school, and the ability to learn from one’s mistakes
- An expectation that all students achieve at high academic levels.
- A high level of personal integrity and professionalism.
- Experience educating and/or mentoring urban youth.
Commitment to Diversity:
Memphis College Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.