Looking for a paid opportunity to make a meaningful difference in Memphis childrens’ education? You don’t have to be a trained educator to make an impact in students’ reading development!
Literacy Mid-South (LMS) is recruiting over 100 part-time, during the day reading tutors to support its Tutor901 program. As a tutor, you’ll be trained to work with small groups of 2nd-4th grade students on their reading skills while school is in session and provide critical support to students in light of the Tennessee 3rd Grade Retention Law.
No experience in education is required as this position will report to and be trained by a Tutor Support Manager with literacy tutoring experience.
What do current tutors have to say about the program?
- 89% said they would like to return next semester;
- 95% felt adequately prepared to lead tutoring sessions;
- 92% feel they made meaningful connections with the students they tutored;
- 84% feel they made a meaningful impact on the reading abilities of the students they delivered.
- Must be available during the day between the hours of 8am to 3pm (tutoring occurs throughout the school day)
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Experience working with school-aged children preferred (not necessarily in a formal education setting)
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Some college experience preferred
- Background check required
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Familiarity with the i-Ready tool a plus
- Able to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
The tutor will work under the supervision of the Tutor Support Manager and will perform tasks as listed below:
- Attend and complete training sessions and modules as required by Tennessee Department of Education
- Tutor a small group of children in a controlled classroom environment
- Implement small group reading instruction
- Maintain a log for data collection
- Arrive promptly to designated school site
- Communicate effectively with various audiences, such as students, school staff, and educators
- Must have a positive and encouraging personality
- Expected to work 9-18 hours per week
- Perform other duties as assigned
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $20.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- No nights
- No weekends
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Working with school age children: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person