Special Education Teacher (2023-2024)
Website Beacon College Prep
Beacon College Prep Special Education Teacher
Beacon College Prep opened in 2020 with two kindergarten and one first-grade class, located in the Raleigh area of Memphis. The school was founded on the belief that all students, regardless of their previous education or the zip code they were born into, can learn and achieve at high levels when held to the highest expectations. Our mission is to create an academically rigorous, purposefully structured, and joyful community so we can prepare all scholars to succeed academically and contribute positively to their communities.
Job Description: A high-quality education is the right of every child, regardless of race, gender, socio-economic background, home language, or disability. Our focus on rigorous academics and character development will provide our scholars with an educational experience that prepares them for success in school, college, and life. Our Special Education Teacher is responsible for providing excellent instruction to our students with IEPs. This includes preparing and expertly delivering all lessons, analyzing and responding to student data, providing a safe and joyful learning environment, providing necessary accommodations, modifications, and supports for all learners, actively participating in professional development, and collaborating with both teaching and leadership team members.
- Develop and implement engaging lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of State Department of Education
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations and differentiation for student learning
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by Tennessee Department of Education, board policies, and administrative
- Collaborate with other members of staff for planning and implementing instructional goals, objectives, and best practices according to district
- Plan and use appropriate instructional strategies, assessment, activities, materials, and technology that reflect accommodations for individual needs of students
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Consistently monitor student achievement through formal and informal assessment and use results to plan for instructional interventions
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of the scholar
- Manage student behavior and administer discipline according to Board policies, administrative regulations, the Discipline Management Plan and Student Code of Conduct handbook and Scholar and Family Handbook
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, school leaders, and teachers.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community
- Use acceptable communication skills to present information accurately
- Present a positive role model for students, staff, parents, and community members by demonstrating professional, ethical, and responsible behavior and aligned with Beacon College Prep’s Code of Ethics and ESSA.
- Articulate and provide support for the campus and district mission and goals to parents, colleagues, and community members.
- Demonstrate awareness of district/community needs and initiate activities to meet identified needs
- Demonstrate the use of appropriate and effective techniques for engaging parents and the school
- Engage in and implement new learning from professional development activities correlated with teaching assignment and with school and state
- Keep informed of and complies with state, district, and school regulations and policies for classroom
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents
- Conduct classroom observations and follow-up with targeted support for teachers to help them become even more effective in serving students with Special Needs and English Language Learners; be available to work with teachers to problem-solve areas of instructional difficulty
- By the time of employment, a Bachelor’s degree is required
- Valid State Certification
- At least 2 years of Special Education Experience
- Experience in an urban public school is preferred, but not required
- Spanish Proficiency Preferred
Salary & Benefits: Beacon College Prep offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, and retirement benefits. All of our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary instructional supplies. Beacon is also committed to offering professional development opportunities.
Start Date: All teaching staff will begin in July 2023.