Memphis Grizzlies Preparatory Charter School
Memphis Grizzlies Preparatory Charter School, an all boys school middle school, has submitted an application for Memphis Grizzlies Prep School for Girls. If approved, the proposed school will have a STEAM focus and will serve young women in grades six through eight.
Located in downtown Memphis, Grizzlies Prep is the only charter school in the nation affiliated with an NBA team. Throughout its eleven-year history, our current school has typically received a Level 5 rating—the highest possible—for student learning outcomes. We have the same high expectations for our proposed school.
Our proposed mission: In a joyful and nurturing space, Memphis Grizzlies Preparatory School for Girls prepares tomorrow’s leaders by affirming our young women’s infinite potential and cultivating their spirit of excellence and sisterhood that they will carry throughout their lives.
Position Overview Memphis Grizzlies Preparatory Charter School seeks a Founding Principal for our proposed girls school. This person will lead the school community with a determination to achieve the highest standards of excellence. The Principal is responsible for all aspects of school performance. He/she reports to and is evaluated by the Executive Director.
The start date is flexible, but if we receive approval from the authorizer this year, the school will open during the 2024-25 SY.
- Assist the Executive Director with all aspects of the planning and launch of a new school. This includes community, parental and other stakeholder engagement, a facilities search, the recruitment and vetting of staff.
- Oversee, evaluate, and remain accountable for all aspects of school operations.
- Focus attention most closely on developing a school culture defined by academic press and care.
- Foster a school community that holds fast to our core values—responsibility, integrity, courage, commitment, grit, excellence—and exhibits high expectations for student success.
- Make wise personnel determinations to form the highest-performing team possible.
- Hold staff accountable to high standards of excellence while providing high-quality development and coaching to help them meet these standards.
- Carefully monitor school performance to enhance areas of strength and improve areas of weakness.
- Communicate regularly and transparently with faculty, staff, students, parents, and the Board.
- Make all decisions based on what is best for students; articulate a clear process for determining what is best for students.
- Enthusiasm for the compelling mission of Grizzlies Preparatory Charter School
- Previous success and deep commitment to improving academic achievement for urban youth, specifically young women in middle school
- At least two years of experience leading adults towards high performance levels; senior leadership experience strongly preferred
- Sincere care for the well-being of students, families, and staff
- Ability to build trusting relationships with staff, students, and parents
- Personal drive and energy needed to sustain challenging work over the long haul Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Utmost personal and professional integrity
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited four-year institution; advanced degree preferred
- Prolonged periods standing and actively monitoring student behavior while teaching.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to assist students who have physical impairments.
- Must be able to traverse classrooms and adjust height, by bending or leaning, in order to teach each child.
- Must be able to facilitate classroom transitions by walking through hallways and up and down stairs with students.
- Prolonged periods sitting and working on the computer to complete necessary paperwork.
Americans With Disabilities Act Compliance
- Grizzlies Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires Grizzlies Prep to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.
Reports to: Governing Board of Memphis Grizzlies Prep
Direct Reports: All school based staff assigned to girls school
Salary Band: $105 – 120k. Can be flexible depending on the candidates professional profile.
Please note that the proposed school has not received approval from the authorizer, nor have we secured a facility for this role. Still, we are moving forward with the vetting process for school leader candidates so that we can be fully prepared as we continue to navigate the planning process.