The Memphis Grizzlies are seeking a dynamic individual to work in a fast-paced environment as a GrizzFit Coach. The ideal candidate will primarily be responsible to support GrizzFit boot camps by driving high levels of participation in, and commitment to health, wellness and fitness driven outreach efforts. S/he will develop and implement strategies to increase visibility and storytelling of the Grizzlies community efforts by executing key outreach initiatives and developing meaningful relationships with local organizations throughout the Mid-South. Every student needs and deserves a network of positive adult role models dedicated to his/her success.
GrizzFit Coaches create a safe space for youth to exercise and build relationships, emphasizing fun, and form. GrizzFit Coaches build relationships and support students as they develop healthier lifestyles. GrizzFit coaches effectively lead boot camps by leveraging their exercise background curriculum by harnessing the power of coaches as mentors.
In This Role You Will
- Attend and engage in all training sessions, GrizzFit program orientation, and Sports Based Youth Development (SBYD) weekly coach trainings;
- Leverage the coaching relationship to have a positive impact on student outcomes;
- Make intentional efforts to connect with every participant during Bootcamp sessions;
- Represent the culture of GrizzFit with high-energy and inclusion, creating opportunities for youth to connect with each other;
- Facilitate group warm-ups, fitness stations and team-time discussions reinforcing the life and physical focus of the day;
- Utilize ‘informal time’ as an opportunity to strengthen relationships with kids;
- Review coach curriculum before arriving on-site;
- Diligently manage behavior of the entire Boot camp, communicating any issues with host-site and Grizzlies staff;
- Meet coaching benchmarks laid out in handbook;
- Set-up and break down site;
- Always show-up on time, do not miss any scheduled shifts, and allow one weeks’ notice if you are unable to complete a scheduled shift;
- Promote a growth mindset within GrizzFit, where children are praised for effort and progress;
- Build a safe space by promoting an inclusive culture where every kid feels that he or she matters;
- Other duties as assigned.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Currently pursuing or completion of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or school in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, or related degree;
- A minimum of 6 months experience working with youth;
- Reliable Wi-Fi and laptop with camera;
- Ability to plan and work with minimum supervision, demonstrating a high degree of initiative
- Strong communication skills and business etiquette; ability to effectively interact with internal and external customers
- Comfortable with public speaking at engagements and during events
- Ability to participate in physical activity;
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of individuals, both youth and adults;
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, problem solving skills, and ability to multitask;
- Strong teamwork and cross-group collaboration
- Strong relationship management skills
- Reliable transportation to travel between sites;
- High level of energy and self-motivated attitude;
- Pass background check;
- Ability to multitask effectively;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Must have availability to work Monday – Friday from 2:30pm to 5:00 pm.
Nice to Have:
- Experience working with volunteer programs, youth development or educational programs desired;
- Experience working in a school or other field focused on student curriculum and advancement;
- Knowledge of Zoom and other similar virtual platforms preferred;
- Knowledge of issues and best practices related to sports-based youth development programming, strength & conditioning techniques, wellness & mindfulness and community development.
What We Offer
At the Memphis Grizzlies, we strive to provide a fun, diverse, and rewarding work environment for all team members. In addition to offering a competitive hourly wage, we have other great benefits and perks.
Discounts and Perks
- Flexible scheduling around your availability
- Team Store Discounts
- Happy Hours and other fun activities
- Discount game night meals and snack program
- Employee Discounted Grizzlies and Hustle Game Tickets
- NBA Sponsored Discount Programs
- Employee Referral Bonuses
- Company Swag
- Employee Recognition and Years of Service Awards
Memphis Basketball LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to treating all applicants and team members fairly based on their abilities, achievements and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other classification protected by law.