Elementary School Counselor
Website Southern Ave Charter Elementary School
Southern Ave Charter Elementary School is seeking an elementary school counselor for grades kk-5th. The counselor must a master’s degree and be licensed. Southern Ave Charter Elementary School is a small charter school that believes in educating the Whole Child, having a qualified counselor on staff that is capable of working with the scholar and their family helps to ensure that we service all the child’s needs alone with educating the child. The counselor we are seeking should be capable of executing most of the skills listed below:
School counselors provide guidance and counseling services to students and their families.
They work in a school setting where their job description entails offering students social, emotional, and educational support.
The role of a school counselor entails performing various functions to aid student success. Here is an example of job description, consisting of typical tasks, duties, and responsibilities counselors usually carry out in most schools:
- Assist students in understanding and overcoming social, behavioral or academic problems
- Provide group or individual counseling to address the needs of students
- Evaluate students’ academic/career plans and assist them in setting realistic goals
- Monitor and observe students to identify and address personal, emotional or social issues
- Refer students to health psychologists and other mental professionals for proper attention
- Consult with families and staff to highlight students’ needs and discuss strategies necessary for improved social and academic performance
- Plan and organize classroom counseling sessions to address career, academic, and personal development issues among students
- Develop and implement school counseling programs effective in meeting students’ needs
- Prepare students for transition to higher institutions and colleges
- Ensure school curriculum meets the academic and developmental needs of students
- Conduct student assessment and maintain records of test results
- Implement programs for students with special needs or learning disabilities
- Organize seminars to educate teenagers on the ills associated with drug and alcohol abuse
- Listen to students’ concerns and proffer recommendations effective in addressing academic or psychological problems
- Guide and support school staff in implementing school advisory programs
- Employ responsive counseling in establishing positive relationship between teachers, parents, and students.