Answering the Call
Feeling trapped in the box of the traditional educational model? Ready to rethink high school? Wouldn’t it be cool if you could work in a super school that cultivates students’ creativity and makes learning relevant through real-world experiences? A school in which the content standards are the floor and not the ceiling? A school in which relationships are valued more than compliance? Well, here’s your chance!
We are searching for individuals who are comfortable working in an exciting, growing environment, who are risk-takers and are driven to imagine and explore the limitless possibilities for our students, and who are committed to providing an engaging, yet rigorous, project-based and competency-based approach to student-centered learning. Successful candidates will be highly collaborative, yet independent thinkers, and will be comfortable “co-working” with their professional peers across disciplines, as well as with community partners. Do you want to connect with your students on a deeper level and facilitate opportunities for them to develop their passions beyond the core content? You’ll be able to do just that at Crosstown High. Our diverse-by-design, student-centered school is seeking educators who will facilitate “learning that encourages original thinking for an uncertain world,” and will work to develop our young learners as “generous collaborators for tough problems.”
Crosstown High (XTH) is an innovative public charter high school which opened in August 2018 in Memphis’ city center with an inaugural class of 150 9th graders. XTH currently serves about 475 9th-12th graders. XTH is strategically and intentionally located in Crosstown Concourse, a 1.1M square foot vibrant, “vertical urban village” that houses retail, restaurants and residential apartments. XTH students leverage the assets of this redevelopment and our greater community through hands-on partnerships and academic projects with participating Crosstown Concourse nonprofit and for-profit organizations that span health care, education, and the arts, to name a few.
The idea for XTH was born from an application to the XQ Super School Challenge submitted by a cross section of Memphis volunteers (young people, parents, educators and community members). The Challenge invited teams to reimagine how high schools can better prepare students for college, the workplace and life.
XTH’s approach to education is unique in a number of ways:
- Location: The school’s location in Crosstown Concourse provides students with the opportunity to build rich and ongoing relationships with each other and the Crosstown Concourse community.
- Curriculum: XTH’s curriculum is project-based and competency-based which provides students with real-world connections to what they are learning in school and allows them to broaden their understanding of content standards through real-world applications.
- Support: XTH utilizes a personalized and highly relational approach to accommodate the learning needs and social-emotional development of students.
- Diverse by design: XTH recruits its students from a diverse cross-section of the city to ensure that a broad range of students can take advantage of all the opportunities this school offers. Our students learn with and from one another.
Teacher Roles and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and community partners to design high quality, purposeful and meaningful learning experiences for students through a project-based or problem-based approach
- Attend and participate in curriculum design and planning sessions
- Develop meaningful and supportive relationships with students through a positive youth development and restorative justice lens
- Facilitate an advisory group of about 15 students
- Participate in Professional Learning Communities and Student Support sessions
- Develop and maintain positive relationships and communication with parents and families
- Monitor students’ progress towards learner outcomes, personal learning goals
- Other duties as deemed necessary by the leadership team to support and strengthen the community
- Bring your “A game” and have fun. It’s what we do at Crosstown High!
The strongest candidates will have the following certifications, skills, and experiences:
- An undeniable enthusiasm for teenagers and a commitment to authentically engaging them
- A highly collaborative approach to teaching and learning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational and planning skills
- Teacher applicants must have TN Educator Licensure/Endorsements or equivalent Out-of-State Licensure/Endorsements. (If hired, out-of-state candidates must obtain necessary TN licensure.)
- Paraprofessional applicants must be Highly Qualified (50 credit hours or a passing score on the Paraprofessional test).
- Evidence of excellence in teaching in a student-centered and rigorous environment
- Experience in a project-based learning environment is strongly preferred, but not required
- Willingness to learn, explore, experiment, question, create, critique, and enhance as we RETHINK HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION.
For all employees, we offer a salary that is competitive with local public school compensation levels, Tennessee state retirement through the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System*, a 403(b) retirement savings plan, a YMCA membership (gym is in building), and an exceptionally positive work environment. Full-time employees are also offered an extra 2% contribution to their 403(b) retirement savings, employer-subsidized health insurance, and employer-paid life insurance and short-term disability insurance.
*Please note that all Tennessee educators, whether they work for a district or charter school, participate in TCRS. There is no penalty for switching between a district and charter school.
Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position you are applying for in the subject line. In your email, please specify your licensure status.
In your cover letter, please address some or all of the following (no more than two pages, please):
- What about Crosstown High most speaks to you?
- What makes you a good fit for this role at XTH?
- How do you demonstrate your own commitment to lifelong learning?
Thank you for your interest in Crosstown High!